Elgin Broom Bear Mechanical Broom Sweeper
Rugged and made to last, the Elgin Broom Bear four-wheel mechanical broom sweepers are one of the efficient on the market. Mounted on a commercially available conventional chassis with fully dualized controls and an intelligent single engine design that utilizes the chassis engine to power the sweeper, these road sweepers also feature a large hopper and water tank, which means more productive sweeping time. A variable dumping height and 11” (279 mm) of hopper side-shift ensures easy dumping. This sweeper is available with your choice of squeegee or no-jam belt conveyor systems, depending on the application requirements. The short wheelbase and large brooms make the Elgin Broom Bear ideal for sweeping in tight cul-de-sacs.
The Elgin Broom Bear is available as an optional alternative fuel sweeper including compressed natural gas (CNG).
The Elgin Broom Bear is specially suited for heavy sweeping such as granular materials like millings or gravel. Simple sweeper controls make it easy to operate and it’s single engine design keeps maintenance or the need for replacement sweeper parts to a minimum. With its highway speeds, and short wheelbase, the Broom Bear is at home both in both congested urban areas and far away rural locations.
- Auxiliary Engine: Cummins 2010 emissions 260 hp @ 2200 RPM
- Dumping Height Max: Variable up to 10 ft. | 3048 mm
- Sweeping Path Max: One Side Broom Width 8.5 ft | 2565 mm
- Two Side Broom Width 10 ft. | 3048 mm
- Both Side Brooms set to extended reach 12 ft. | 3659 mm
- Hopper Capacity: 4.5 cu. yd. | 3.4 cu.m
- Water Capacity: 360 gal | 1363 Liters
- Dump Location: Right Side
- Chassis: Conventional
- Travel Speed: Highway Speeds
Powerful, Proven, Single Engine Mechanical Sweeper
HIGH PRODUCTIVITY SWEEP SYSTEM
- • High torque diesel engine is teamed with Freightliner® M2 or International® Durastar® chassis to create one of the most powerful and reliable single engine packages in the industry.
- • The control console, located between the operator stations, provides quick, easy access. All sweep function switches have tactile-feel surfaces, so operators can work the panel while keeping their eyes focused forward, for increased productivity and safe operation.
- • Dual free-floating gutter brooms that adjust to variable road surfaces, a sweep path of 120 inches (3048 mm) with an additional extension of up to 144 inches (3657 mm) when both brooms are pinned to outer points, and a powerful free floating direct drive main broom, ensure reliable and complete pickup of debris.
- • Superior dust control is maintained with in-cab zone controlled, dual diaphragm water pumps and a 360 gallon (1363 L) water tank for long sweep times between refills.
- • The 4.5 cubic yard (3.4 cu meter) hopper features a double-scissor lifting mechanism that is center mounted for greater stability and trouble free operation. Dumping height is variable up to 10 feet (305 cm) and an 11 inch (279 mm) side shift enables a cleaner more efficient unloading of material. Optional 5.4 cubic yard (4.1 cu meter) hopper available.
- • The chassis cab is dualized with OEM parts, including full factory controls, steering, and OEM gauge package that is identical for both left and right operator stations.
EASY TO OPERATE. EASY TO MAINTAIN. BUILT TO LAST
The main broom is attached to a fully floating trailing arm to better conform to road contours. Performance is optimized using mechanical main broom suspension that dynamically adjusts to various road conditions while on-the-go. Lift and lower functions are controlled from
the cab. Main broom arm bearings are sealed, can be re-lubricated and are self-aligning for self-adjustment when experiencing an uneven load which decreases wear and increases main broom life.
46 inch (1168 mm) trailing arm, free-floating side brooms offer four-way motion and protection against damaging impacts. Pneumatic lift and extension control enhances performance while sweeping within a 10 foot (305 cm) wide path. Steel plate disc construction adds durability. Broom speed is controlled by hydraulic motors operating at variable speeds that coincide with auxiliary engine RPM. Automatic settings control down-pressure, digging-pressure and wear-control. In-cab side broom pressure gauges and down-pressure control are standard.
SQUEEGEE TYPE CONVEYOR
A steel roller chain drives an 11-flight, squeegee-type conveyor to load debris into the hopper. The chain operates on polyurethane sprockets, which last longer. Conveyor speed is constant and matched to the broom speed for optimal loading performance. Conveyor operating height can be raised from the cab up to 3 inches (76 mm) to avoid larger debris and other obstacles. Conveyor bearings are sealed and self aligning for longer life.
The Broom Bear features a 23 gallon (87 L) reservoir with an external level indicator and thermometer. The system includes twin pumps that are direct driven variable displacement piston type with load sensing to adjust flow based on hydraulic oil demand in sweeping gear to maximize efficiency and reduce heat.
SIMPLE, EASY-ACCESS MAINTENANCE
The Broom Bear was designed so that systems are accessible and easy to service. The hydraulic system with o-ring face seal fittings is designed for long life and leak-free operation. Heavy-duty waterproof electrical connectors and color-coded wires have stamped identification for quick location during troubleshooting. A stainless steel toolbox provides additional storage.
COMMERCIAL CHASSIS / SINGLE ENGINE
A high torque diesel engine is teamed with a Freightliner Business Class or International Durastsar chassis to create one of the most powerful and reliable single engine packages in the industry. The straight forward, single engine layout provides greater fuel efficiency and simple maintenance.
An Allison 3500 RDS transmission, a 10,000 lb (4536 kg) front axle and a 23,000 lb (10433 kg) twin air spring suspension 2-speed rear axle complement the powerful single engine and provide the operator with hours of comfortable ride.
SUPERIOR MECHANICAL SWEEPER DESIGN
LARGE VARIABLE HEIGHT DEBRIS HOPPER
The Broom Bear features a variable-height, right side dump hopper with a capacity of 4.5 cubic yard (3.4 cu meters) volumetric. All hopper lift and dump controls are hydraulic and easily operated from in-cab console mounted controls. A 50 degree dump angle allows material to easily slide out. A unitized, twin-cylinder, double scissors lift rated at 11,000 lbs (4990 kg) unloads material at a minimum of 38 inches (965 mm) and a maximum of 10 feet (3048 mm). Payload capacity is 10,000 lbs (4536 kg) per load. An 11 inch (279 mm) side shift allows material to be unloaded into the center of a truck or container for cleaner dumping. A full hopper can dump and retract in 20 seconds for short intervals and up to 70 seconds at top height.
SUPERIOR DUST SUPPRESSION
A 360 gallon (1363 L) removable water tank is made of corrosion resistant polyethylene. A 16 foot, 8 inch long (5.1 m) fill hose and water level indicator light located on the control console are standard. Water flow for the side and main brooms is in-cab zone controlled. The self-priming diaphragm pumps (run dry type, 40 psi) provide effective dust control. Three spray nozzles are positioned on each side broom and three on the main broom. Dual water pumps are standard.
Elgin’s Memory Sweep™system allows the operator to resume all previous sweep settings, even broom tilt (if so equipped), with one-touch control to enhance productivity and reduce fatigue. It incorporates a multi-screen display that indicates system diagnostics, engine hours, water level, and optional features such as broom tilt angle and broom hours.
UNIQUE APPLICATION VERSATILITY
The Broom Bear comes standard with a squeegee type conveyor designed to provide versatile and reliable performance in a wide range of applications including aggregate and granular material pick up of gravel and millings, ideal for road construction contractors as well as general municipal sweeping, trash, leaves, and other organics. The Broom Bear is also available with a belt conveyor for applications such as highway sweeping and general municipal sweeping where large debris is encountered.
THE ELGIN SQUEEGEE CONVEYOR
- • Chain side-plate constructed from hardened steel for long life and smooth operation.
- • Three-piece design for easy service without removing complete assembly.
- • Thick, multi-ply rubber-edged flights provides efficient movement of debris into the hopper.
- • Unique, interlocking, wavy-plate joint design prevents excessive wear and “thumping” over plate seams.
- • Abrasion-resistant steel floor for durability.
- • Direct-drive hydraulic motor for optimal power transfer to the conveyor system.
THE ELGIN BELT CONVEYOR
- • Full-width cleats move more material quickly to the hopper for maximum productivity.
- • Direct-drive hydraulic motor for optimal power transfer to the conveyor system.
- • Improved hopper fill by throwing debris towards center of hopper.
- • Heavy-duty belt construction resists stretching and requires fewer adjustments.
- • Ribs between cleats enhance effectiveness of moving fine debris into the hopper.
The Broom Bear conveyors are designed to be interchangeable should a customer have different applications throughout the sweep season.
LOW EMISSIONS – ALTERNATIVE FUEL OPTION
The Elgin Broom Bear is available in a compressed natural gas (CNG) configuration. The Broom Bear single-engine mechanical sweeper is powered by the Cummins Westport ISL G natural gas engine, making it a fully certified EPA/CARB emission compliant street sweeper. Three 3600 psi composite fuel tanks are conveniently packaged in the rear compartment minimizing impact to chassis wheelbase. The Broom Bear has a generous 51 diesel gallon equivalent fuel capacity – providing ample sweeping range.
LIFELINER HOPPER SYSTEM
The LifeLiner hopper system is a specially designed hopper liner and finish system that greatly improves the life, durability, and functionality of a sweeper hopper.
IN-CAB SIDE BROOM TILT & EXTENDED REACH
Allows operator to sweep effectively in variably-pitched gutters. On-the-go pitch adjustment with a simple variable rocker switch that displays proper broom angle. Extended reach allows the side broom to follow curbs and tight cul-de-sacs.
The Broom Bear Sweeper can be equipped with a variety of optional lighting packages. The lighting packages are designed for flexibility based on customer requirements and can include strobes, beacons, and arrow sticks.
- - Outside Cab / Side Broom Down Pressure Control
- - PM10 Compliance Package
- - In-cab / Side Broom Speed Control
- - Functional Water Control
- - 5.4 Cubic Yard Hopper (4.1 cu meter)
- - Automatic Lubrication System
- - Hydraulic Float Main Broom Suspension
- - Front Spray Bar